[Discuss] Fun with Synology (was WD My Cloud PR4100)

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 11:36:31 EDT 2017

On 6/21/2017 6:31 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:
> What are the advantages you see over another mini-ITX server
> like the HP?

It is a mini-ITX server, one that happens to be designed for network
attached storage and comes with a vendor-supported, Linux-based
operating system.

I think a better question is why didn't I get a "real" mini-ITX server?
I *hate* working in anything smaller than a mid-tower so DIY was off the
table. The HP MicroServers haven't been refreshed in a long time, and
more recent options like the FreeNAS Mini cost 20-30% more than Synology
and QNAP for about the same thing.

--
Rich P.