[Discuss] Fwd: installfest

Shankar Viswanathan shankar.viswan at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 07:35:49 EDT 2017

On 03/17/2017 11:12 PM, Shirley Márquez Dúlcey wrote:
> It is. But the chroot environments usually aren't all that large so
> it's possible to get at least a couple in, especially if you keep an
> SD card mounted permanently for data files. (You generally don't want
> to put the OS there because it's slow, and it doesn't work so well on
> models where the SD card sticks out when inserted.)

I have an Acer C720 Chromebook (x86) that's a few years old now. I use
it primarily when I travel or other occasions where I don't want to lug
my 4lb+ regular laptop. I use ChromeOS in guest mode when I am doing
casual browsing, reading news sites etc. But for anything more secure, I
have it setup such that I can boot Linux from a low-profile 32GB USB
drive - it sticks out a little but the padded sleeve that I carry it in
can easily accommodate that. It is running Bodhi Linux (Ubuntu-derived
Enlightenment based distro), primarily because it was the easiest to get
working on the machine at that time.

I enabled full-disk encryption for the USB drive, so it is a little slow
to boot up and open up applications, but otherwise quite usable. Since
it has only 2GB of RAM, I can't go nuts with a bunch of Firefox tabs
open at the same time as a LibreOffice document. But it is adequate for
my purposes: given that I only paid $150 for it, I cannot complain too much.

-Shankar