[Discuss] AT&T eliminating copper phone lines

Joe Polcari joe at polcari.com
Tue Mar 28 15:52:55 EDT 2017

Magic Jack works great. I still have my phone number of 20+ years, and it’s cheap.

From:  Discuss on behalf of Daniel Barrett
Date:  Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM
To:  "discuss at blu.org"
Cc:  Daniel Barrett
Subject:  [Discuss] AT&T eliminating copper phone lines

AT&T is finally eliminating its copper phone lines in my area. (I
recall Tom Metro starting a BLU discussion when Verizon did the same
thing in 2013.)

The alternatives for a home landline now seem to be:

1. Let AT&T replace my copper with a fiber optic line. (Con: Expensive
service, $100/month.)

2. Add phone service to my existing Verizon FIOS Internet plan. (Con:
I lose my phone number of 25 years.)

3. Switch to Vonage. (Con: Might not work with an alarm system.)

4. Eliminate the landline. (Con: Screws the alarm system, and
cellphone voice quality is too poor for my damaged hearing.)

Am I missing any better options?

--
Dan Barrett
dbarrett at blazemonger.com