[Discuss] Ubuntu 17.10: As messed up as it appears in first impression?

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Sat Oct 21 01:28:39 EDT 2017

Disclaimer: I'm just booting it off a thumbdrive and played with it for
like 30 minutes.  Definitely not exhaustive, and running from thumb
drive some things aren't gonna work.  But I've been a long-time Kubuntu
user trying to see if I could adapt to the new Gnome/Wayland-based version.

First thing I noticed is that Software Center is... lacking. I
understand it's for less sophisticated users.  so I try to install
synaptic.  "sudo dpkg-query -l synaptic" shows it but with no version
number, no arch and uninstalled. "sudo apt-get install synaptic" says
the package has no installation candidate.  Same goes for
gnome-tweak-tool, which seems similarly essential. Separately, I know if
I do manage to install synaptic I will run into easily-solved problems
running it as root, according to the Internet.  Yes the machine is
connected to the Internet.

I tried installing some other packages, and ran into the error
"snap-confine has elevated permissions and is not confined but should
be..." when I run them from the command line. They don't do anything
when I click on the icon in the application list. Google isn't helping
me with that one either. The applications don't launch.

Other opinions on it welcome, but specifically:

1) Is Ubuntu 17.10 ready for casual use?

2) Are others seeing the problems I'm seeing above? It's effectively
useless to me as is, and mysterious that there aren't a lot of hits on
these messages.

3) Is it likely these problems are being caused by running from a thumb
drive?  I have a feeling any spare machines I have to try it on are 32
bit, and I would rather not blow away my main laptop install only to
find out I don't like the interface.

Thanks.