[Discuss] Ubuntu 17.10: As messed up as it appears in first impression?

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Sun Oct 22 00:53:03 EDT 2017

For closure... I found an i3 laptop to try the install on. Not only did
I get it installed flawlessly, and dual-booting with Windows 10, but
everything seems to work fine, other than running applications as root,
which is a known problem, and relatively easily fixed by telling it root
can open windows.

I think with gnome-tweaks, I could adapt to its look and feel. I'll have
to play with it more and install more software though. As Bill would
agree, I would not fool around with this on a mission critical machine.

So far I'm happy-ish, but... Looking at the bug reports, they seem
entirely unconcerned about everyone complaining that root-run
applications don't just run. Like if you download a .deb, the browser
will try to launch the installer and fail. That's pretty unacceptable.