[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Sep 12 10:55:15 EDT 2017

Kent,

Kent Borg <kentborg at borg.org> writes:

> Two suggestions.
>
> Short term: Look at your current needs and extrapolate from
> there. Ethernet cables can be used for unrelated low-voltage signaling
> or power, too. (Thermostat, for example. Or power to gizmos that
> normally require a wallwart can maybe be installed without the power
> supply being ugly and near.)

Indeed.  I'm thinking not just IP, but also possibly HDBaseT.  I'm going
to run separate Cat5e for my PoE security cameras (which only need 100mbps).

> Long term: You can't anticipate things that don't exist, so see if you
> can give yourself future access to the sealed up walls. Conduit with
> string in it is good. Extra large conduit is good if that is
> possible. Lots of extra empty "outlet" boxes are good. If you can
> leave yourself access to a cable tray in your basement or attic or
> maybe in your wall (removable baseboard or ceiling molding?) then you
> can reconfigure pretty easily.

I plan to run some conduit across major sections, but not necessarily to
each drop.  I don't know if "easily removed baseboards" will go over
well with the WAF.  But I'll keep it in mind.

> -kb

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745