[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 13:19:57 EDT 2017

I'm hoping to build a retirement house in the next few years so this
is a good think exercise for me too.

I think we're pretty much agreed that any wire we install today will
be outmoded within a decade.
Best fibre available, maybe not but multiplexing all future services
over a single strand may be awkward, lots of replacing terminations to
multiplex old and new services, what a mess.

So the only truly future-proof solutions are
(a) admit defeat, we'll have visible cables or stick-on cable-races
again within 5 years of putting on the wallboard;
(b) commit to wireless last 10' to 50' for almost eveything (and
willing to drill new holes for exceptions);  or
(c) commit to easy access to upgrade "wires" and add fibres as needed.
The (b) access could be
 - invisible hinges on the baseboards,
 - cable trays running around the ceiling,
 - or conduits with pull-strings in every wall, or
 - Combination: utility boxes in floor to basement and/or ceiling to
attic, cable-trays in attic and basement, and a conduit with
pull-string from attic to basement. (Fine if max 2 stories finished
with full unfinished basement and attic . Awkward for 3story townhouse
with crawlspaces or less top & bottom.)

Why is conduit everywhere not an option?
Cost of material?  Time-consuming bending & fitting?
Does Code there require _steel_ conduit for low-voltage DATA cables, or can
you use certain plastics?
(Plastics are nasty when it burns, but w/o power lines inside, fire is
coming from
outside; by the time the fire gets to it, it's pretty much over
already. Allowed for plumbing, so why not for data?)

> ISP bandwidth being less than local WiFi

I'm glad to hear there's someone even slower to adopt real broadband than I was.

However, there are uses for fast bandwidth in-house, if you have more
than one device and particularly more than one peoples.
I will shortly sync my laptop with my desktop today.
Switched wired is very good for that. Files going to/from SSD fly.
Files going spinning rust to spinning rust are not limited by the
network, and are not congesting the WiFi and thus not contesting /
interrupting other peoples' YouTubes.