[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Wed Sep 13 11:32:42 EDT 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 08:16:36AM -0700, Rich Braun wrote:
> Because I just don't see a need for going beyond 1Gbps within the home during
> the course of my life. Maybe 10Gbps applications will materialize, but for now
> there's just not much reason I'll need more than a half-dozen streams of 4K
> video flying around the house at any given time. In my current situation there
> are only two or three places in the house where I wish I had at least that
> second RJ45 jack that the idiot who wired the place failed to install; and I
> wish I had conduit running between two core locations to support the HA setup
> that I have.
>
> The future's hard to predict but I think we're coming near the end of
> practical advancements in home-networking performance. Guess I'm a luddite.

A field of view about 180 degrees wide, 135 degrees high, 1 arc
minute in minimum pixel size, and updated 100 times per second…
twice, to account for full stereography, and using 48 bits of
color.

180 * 135 * 60 * 60 * 100 * 48 = 419904000000,

420 billion bits per second.

Compress 100:1, we're still at 4.2Gb/s, plus some relatively
minor trivia for audio, osmic and haptic data.

Per simultaneous user, of course.

-dsr-