[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:36:51 EDT 2017

On 9/13/2017 11:44 AM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 11:38:36 -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
>> 1080p video streams (MPEG-4) need about 5-8 Mbps burst bandwidth.
>> Gigabit Ethernet has practical throughput about 300Mbps.
>
> ???  I routinely get over 100 MB/sec (>800 Mbps) transferring files --
> even with scp -- between systems with fast enough disks.

If I'm not mistaken that's with jumbo frames enabled. Consumer NICs
typically do not support jumbo frames. Regardless, if you're getting
~2.5 times my throughput estimate then your MythTV usage is consuming
about 2% of your available bandwidth instead of my 5% estimate, so
instead of wasting 95% of the network bandwidth by not using it you're
wasting 98% of it.

If you were doing video editing then that would be a different story.
This is large(ish) scale bulk data transfers where high sustained
throughput is necessary. But then, you would do this kind of wiring in a
studio environment, not the entire residence.

So, yeah, whole-home wiring just doesn't make sense.

--
Rich P.