[Discuss] Future-proofing a house for networking -- what to run?

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Sep 13 22:13:45 EDT 2017

On Wed, 13 Sep 2017 21:39:02 -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 9/13/2017 3:23 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:
>> I have a family of four, plus occasional guests. If I had every
>> device that could be connected to ethernet connected to wifi,
>> I would spend all my time debugging wifi problems.
>
> Either you exaggerate or you've been doing very very wrong things
> because for example my brother has WiFi for his family plus guests and
> nobody there ever spends time debugging WiFi problems. While I don't
> have the numbers of users that they or you have I spend essentially zero
> time debugging WiFi problems and I've been almost completely wireless
> for 3, maybe 4 years now. The singular exception was when I was futzing
> around with my Raspberry Pi and discovering how awful the Linux WiFi
> tools are.
>
>> So, no, you don't need jumbo packets to get 900+Mb/s
>> out of your 1000Mb/s ethernet connection. That's through
>> a very boring Netgear $50 switch.
>
> Information is missing.
>
> 1000Base-T is 500Mbps each way (theoretical maximum), but it works with
> Cat 5e. You cannot get 900Mbps throughput with 1000Base-T. It's
> physically impossible. Real world throughput with file data is around
> the 300Mbps I previously cited.

You're wrong:

ftp> get Musopen-DVD.zip
229 Extended Passive mode OK (|||30016|)
150-Accepted data connection
150 2357995.9 kbytes to download
100% |***********************************|  2302 MiB   96.71 MiB/s    00:00 ETA
226-File successfully transferred
226 24.191 seconds (measured here), 95.19 Mbytes per second

This is 1000Base-T, with standard cat 5e cable.  scp isn't much slower.

--Eric Crampton