[Discuss] Double-sided printing with web browsers

epp at vivaldi.net epp at vivaldi.net
Sun Aug 12 11:57:09 EDT 2018

On 08/12/2018 10:58 AM, epp at vivaldi.net wrote:

> In Chrome, the headers are at 0.33" from the top, the footers are at
> .18" from the bottom, when the margins are moved to their placement on
> the screen.
>
> WRT Firefox: I don't know if this information will help, but in the
> preferences file (aka about:config), print_print_margin_top and
> print_print_margin_bottom both show (as string) 0.5 for the value, but
> if this actually means 1/2" from both top and bottom, the headers and
> footers print closer than that to the top and bottom of the pages. The
> preferences print_print_unwriteable_margin_top and
> print_print_unwriteable_margin_bottom both show (as integer) 13 as the
> value. I'm not finding a setting anywhere to manually change the
> margins in Firefox.

Fixed in Firefox.  :-)

The "print_print_unwriteable_margin_" entries required changing.
Advanced/Power users would know to look in about:config for this,
otherwise there is no GUI to change the margins.

In SeaMonkey, the headers and footers printed on both sides. When I
looked at the same config entries, print_print_unwriteable_margin_bottom
was showing 56. Left, right and top were all showing 25. So I changed
these same entries in Firefox to reflect the above, printed and there
they were. The footer is otherwise printing a little higher up on the
page, but at least it's printing. I changed top, left and right back to
the default of 13 and the footers continued to print on both sides. The
56/25 entries in SeaMonkey were used with a different HP printer, no
longer used.

As for Chrome, don't know...

Thank you for the earlier suggestions.