[Discuss] Fedora 28 Doesn't See External DVD Drive on USB Port

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sat Dec 29 19:12:41 EST 2018

Nancy Allison wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> When I plug in my external disk drive into my Fedora 28 machine, it does
> not show up in Nautilus.
>
> I go looking online, and, sure enough, this problem has occurred for plenty
> of people for 5+ years over many releases of Fedora.
>
> I find a discussion in which someone evidently solved the problem. Here is
> what the person reported:
>
> "NVM - found the cause. Old entry in fstab for a second swap not present on
> sdb1 and first USB disks being assigned sdb. Cleaned that up and now all
> drives plugging correctly.
> Willtech ( Sep 23 '18 )"
>
> How do I apply this information? Where is fstab? When does a first swap
> occur? When does a second swap occur? What does it mean to be assigned sdb?

/etc/fstab consolidates mounting information.

Each active line defines:

For example:

/dev/scd0   /media/cdrom0   ISO9660     ro      1   1

device/partition name, then where you want it mounted, then the
type of filesystem.

If you have a single disk called /dev/sda, for instance, you
might see your external CD show up as /dev/sdb. If there's
already a /dev/sdb listed in the file, that will conflict.

Hope that helps.

-dsr-