[Discuss] node.js and npm on Debian?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Feb 13 10:23:09 EST 2018

For work I need to mess with node.js, unfortunately.

So I installed node.js:

   apt-get install nodejs

But I can't figure out how to install npm. When I search for
installation instructions they all seem to want me to pipe a curl
command into a sudo bash. Huh? That's scary as hell.

Why is there no .deb for npm? What is so dangerous or otherwise skanky
about npm that Debian 9 doesn't include it? Why should I let it have
root privileges? It isn't as if Javascript has a great security
reputation. And when they brag: "npm, is the largest ecosystem of open
source libraries in the world", that doesn't make it sound very well vetted.

-kb, the Kent who might have to fire up a VM to try to isolate this
beast (if only VMs actually offered much isolation).