[Discuss] Converting Windows to Linux

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Thu Jan 25 12:25:59 EST 2018

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Betsy Schwartz <betsys at gmail.com> wrote:

> You want to p2v the windows box. I think this is easier to do with
> VMware converter. You can verify that you have a fully working VM
> before you trash the original install.
> You can convert the vmware vm into OVM if you want, afterwards

Thanks Betsy, but I don't really see the need to do a Physical 2 Virtual
conversion since the Windows installation is brand new / empty.  It's
quicker / easier to just reinstall Windows (especially since I'm not a
VMWare expert and don't have the software).

What I'm finding during Ubuntu installation is that I need to create a
password to disable Secure Boot (in order to install proprietary drivers).

The Windows Boot Manager is installed into a 272 MB partition, and there is
also a 1 GB "reccovery" partition on the same SSD drive.  I wonder if I can
just combine these two partitions and "reserve them for BIOS boot area",
meaning install Grub there.