[Discuss] Converting Windows to Linux

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 14:24:02 EST 2018

On 1/25/2018 12:53 PM, Greg Rundlett (freephile) wrote:
> After "successfully" installing Ubuntu and rebooting, I get a grub prompt
> so I obviously did something wrong.

This is why making a complete system image with Clonezilla is always
always always the first thing I do with any new system.

If you really overwrote the EFI boot partition with grub then you
temporarily wrecked the system because that's not Windows. That's the
hardware. It's required for booting from GPT drives. Reinstall, and let
the installer create and populate a new EFI partition and don't put
anything else there. Give grub it's own partition to play with.

--
Rich P.