[Discuss] Can't play videos in Firefox

John Abreau abreauj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 01:02:04 EDT 2018

I've had the same problem for several years. My workaround is to use a
command-line tool to download the videos, then play them with mplayer.

The command-line tool is called "youtube-dl". You can install it with
dnf, but the version in dnf doesn't get updated very often, so I
prefer to install it manually so I can easily fetch the latest update
as needed.

youtube-dl can dowload videos from a large number of sites, including
youtube, facebook, and vimeo. I just tried it on a washington post
page, and while it didn't work on the page directly, it worked when I
viewed the page source and then used youtube-dl on the embedded video
url, which was from abc.com.

https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/

Email: abreauj at gmail.com / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6