[Discuss] Running a mail server, or not

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Wed Jun 20 10:26:41 EDT 2018

On 06/20/2018 04:26 AM, David Kramer wrote:
> Questions:
> - Are there any other solutions to my end goal (privacy and control over
> mail routing to mailboxes) that I'm missing, other than running my own
> mail server? Some other mail platform I can trust and also set up very
> complex routing rules with?  GMail and Office365 are right out on
> general privacy and trust principles, and client-side filtering is not
> an option because I read my email on 4+ devices.

I have a similar setup, but handle it a bit differently.  My take on it
is:  I don't want to be in the business of running the server that
receives mail.  (I don't want to have to worry about security, people
using my server as a relay, making sure the server is up 24x7x365,
SPF/DKIM, etc.)  So instead I have my mail get delivered to the mail
server of my hosting provider (Dreamhost).  After that I bring the mail
over to my home email server (using fetchmail) where I run dovecot IMAP,
exim, sieve filtering, spamassassin, and a webmail (roundcube).

Hope this is a useful data point.

DR