[Discuss] Running a mail server, or not

Richard Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 20:20:05 EDT 2018

On 6/28/2018 8:03 PM, epp at linuxmail.org wrote:
> Your third bullet hits a nerve with me. I see so many apps in the Google
> Play store that haven't been updated in more than a year, sometimes two
> or even longer, why leave it in there if the developer isn't doing
> anything with it... Would be nice to see a policy that if an app isn't
> updated in x number of years, contact the developer and inquire, if no
> response, remove the app.

Oh, no. Oh HELL! NO. That would be *SO* bad. It would be like every DRM
music "purchase" service shutting down and denying you the music you
paid for *and* every MMO which you paid for shutting down and leaving
you with nothing rolled into one.

> I think Comcast is still using dovecot for its mail server, I'm seeing
> dov-this and dov-that in current mail headers and past headers actually
> referenced dovecot, but I'm still not comfortable with all of their
> connections from outside logged as standard SMTP.

There are so many things about Comcast that I'm not comfortable about
that them not saying "ESMTP" in mail headers doesn't even rate.

--
Rich P.