[Discuss] systemd reboot

jbk jbk at kjkelra.com
Sat Mar 3 12:08:07 EST 2018

On 03/03/2018 08:20 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On 3/2/2018 9:09 PM, Mike Small wrote:
>> I see behaviour where if I change something under /etc/grub.d/, run
>> update-grub and then immediately run /sbin/reboot, upon start up grub
>> sees the old grub.cfg not the new one. This is a Ubuntu Xenial based
> I don't think systemd has anything to do with it. My guess is that you
> have more than one /boot/grub on the system (perhaps a replica, perhaps
> a dual-boot system), possibly more than one grub2 installed, and the
> active loader is reading from one of those alternate /boot/grub points.

I'd have to agree with Rich that it is something to do with
the path to the active grub.cfg.

On Fedora I use this command to effect grub updates:

grub2-mkconfig --output=/boot/grub2/grub.cfg

The update-grub command you are using is probably a plain
text script in /bin or /sbin that issues the same as above.

The other place you might look is /var/log/grubby which on
my system is a record of every manual or scripted update of
/boot/grub(2)/grub.cfg.

Look at the UUID's for the root partition it is pointing to
if you multi boot distro's or versions.

--
Jim Kelly-Rand
jbk at kjkelra.com