[Discuss] Container to deploy a web service

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Thu Nov 8 05:53:29 EST 2018

Tom Luo:
> Hi, all,
>
> I developed a software which provide a web service.
> When I deploy the software in customer's machines, I don't want them to see
> the source code.
> I tried to use docker, but I found out that docker cannot provide password
> protection. The customer can still see the source code. The source code
> contains python code and javascript code. I feel possibly virtual box is an
> option. But I have not tried yet.
> Basically, what I need is to provide a port for customers to access the
> service. At the same time, I don't want customers to see my code.
>
> What should I do? Any ideas?

If you don't want them to see the source code, you need to not
send them the source code.

Since it's a web service, you would operate it as a service,
charging a repeating fee, rather than as a product, where you
ship it and forget about it.

Alternatively, you could depend on a contract to prevent them
from looking inside whatever you ship them. After all, you
already depend on a contract sell it to them, and the code is
covered by copyright.

Remember that when you ship code around, you need to be obeying
the applicable copyrights for anything you have included from
other people.

-dsr-