[Discuss] Backing up the entire software installation

John Abreau abreauj at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 00:13:25 EDT 2018

I have a set of things I back up on a nightly basis for each system,
which makes disaster recovery fairly straightforward.

For CentOS and Fedora systems:

1. I back up all of /home, /export, /srv, /etc, /opt, and /usr/local.
2. If the system is a DNS server, I back up /var/named.
3. If the system is a DHCP server, I back up /etc/dhcp.
4. If the system runs apache, I back up /etc/httpd.  For a legacy
system where web sites are under /var/www instead of /srv/www, I also
back up /var/www.
5. If the system is running Postgresql, I back up the data to a file:
    pg_dumpall > PSQL-$(uname -n)-$(date +%F).txt
6. If the system is running MySQL (or MariaDB), I back up the data to a file:
    mysqldump --all-databases > MYSQL-$(uname -n)-$(date +%F).txt
7. I save a list of installed rpm packages:    rpm -qa > RPMs-$(uname
-n)-$(date +%F).txt

Email: abreauj at gmail.com / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6