[Discuss] International Keyboard for Fedora 28

Nancy Allison nancythewriter7 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 21:50:19 EDT 2018

Thanks, Jerry.

I have a beginning problem, which is that I don't know what "keymaps"
refers to, a graphic that will show me how the keyboard is laid out, or the
actual programming that will install the alternate keyboard layout in
Fedora so I can switch to it when I want to type accents.

While not knowing that, I went ahead,  opened a command window, and listed
the us keyboards and found one that looks useful: us-intl.

I then navigated to the keymaps directory ( /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/xkb),
searched for us-intl, and found it. It is a compressed file. When I
double-click it, Fedora wants to know where to put the files. I stopped at
this point because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Questions:

1. Do I want to extract the file?
2. If I do, once I extract it, what do I do with it?
3. Am I unzipping the actual keyboard layout, or some kind of explanatory
document, and the keyboard layout itself is somewhere else?

Thanks.

--Nancy