[Discuss] CalDav/CardDav servers?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Aug 14 08:33:07 EDT 2019

Does Radicale support Z-push (or equivalent) ActiveSync?

I've been using zarafa, but I really only use it for the calendar and
contacts.  I do use it for more than just iCal; sometimes I log in to the
WebUI to examine the calendar directly, but *usually* I only access it via
my phone or from Evolution -- and my wife uses it from her phone and from
iCalendar on her Mac.

Of course, I would have to figure out how to extract (or migrate) the data
from zarafa if I wanted to change to another service.

-derek

On Wed, August 14, 2019 8:22 am, Dan Ritter wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
>> I am trying to move the functionality off my home server onto my Ubuntu
>> node
>> at Linode.  I already have IMAP/SMTP moved over (thanks one again to
>> those
>> that helped). The website will be trivial.  The other big part is
>> CardDav/CalDav.
>>
>> Right now on my home server I am running an older version of OwnCloud
>> (NextCloud is a fork of OwnCloud).  OwnCloud is a whole groupware thing
>> with
>> file repo, etc, but it also has a caldav/carddav server and client.  I'm
>> thinking if I'm moving over to this linode server, running full
>> groupware
>> may be a little too resource heavy, since I really don't use the rest.
>> *MAY* install NextCloud anyway.  Not sure.  If I DO install some sort of
>> groupware, I would prefer to use one that does not have built in mail
>> server, so I don't have to worry about dovecot/postfix conflicts.
>>
>> The leading CalDav/CardDav with wide protocol support seem to be
>> https://radicale.org/ and https://www.davical.org, and possibly
>> http://sabre.io/
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with these or others?
>>
>> Should I just install NextCloud or some other groupware without email?
>
> radicale is nearly trivial to set up.
>
> NextCloud can easily be set up without being an email server.
> You just tell it how to talk to an existing one.
>
> If you don't want the other features of NextCloud, radicale is a
> better choice for just being a caldav/carddav server.
>
> -dsr-

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745