[Discuss] CalDav/CardDav servers?

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Fri Aug 16 02:12:49 EDT 2019

Following up on this, I ended up going with DaviCal.  My main decision
points were it supported more columns on that compatibility matrix,
stored data in a real DB I can inspect and back up, and is actively
being worked on (although the originator of the project left).
Installation was mostly smooth.  DB creation script failed the first
time but directions said how to roll back and try again which is great.
With some googling I got it running over SSL on a non standard port
pretty easily.  DaviCal is pretty flexible with lots of configuration
options.

I was able to import my calendars and address book, and was able to set
up a shared family calendar and get it set up on my wife's IOS phone.
I'm using the Lighting plugin for Thunderbird as the CalDav client and
the CardBook plugin as a CarDav client.

The only downside of this solution is OwnCloud (and other solutions)
provided a web client for Caldav/Carddav and this is very specifically
the server side only to keep the project scope manageable.  This is
pretty minor though. It runs on Postgres and I'm more familiar (and was
already using) MySQL, but I got past that with little hassle too.

I was able to adapt my database backup script to cover postgres too.