[Discuss] full disk backups

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Aug 18 01:36:43 EDT 2019

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 21:59:43 GMT
Eric Chadbourne <eric.chadbourne at icloud.com> wrote:

> This is the command I ended up running:
>

> sudo rsync -a --delete
> -exclude={"/dev/*","/proc/*","/sys/*","/tmp/*","/run/*","/mnt/*","/media/*","/lost+found"}
> / /media/eric/USB1TB/
>

> After letting it run for an hour and a half I killed it.  My laptop
> is pretty fast and there were a lot of errors.  Such as "rsync:
> mkstemp" and "rsync: symlink" with invalid argument.

My experiences with USB thumb drives go like this:

1) They're slow, especially USB2. If you have USB3,  try that.

2) They come formatted with a windows format, and that windows format
   just isn't reliable. When I reformat my thumb drives as EXT4 they're
   much more reliable.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2019 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28