[Discuss] full disk backups

Timothy Lyons lyons at geekcq.com
Mon Aug 19 16:22:34 EDT 2019

That looks like a nice simple solution. my concern would be with it's dependence on EncFs, which they admit may have significant flaws.

"EncFS is probably safe as long as the adversary only gets one copy of the ciphertext and nothing more. EncFS is not safe if the adversary has the opportunity to see two or more snapshots of the ciphertext at different times. EncFS attempts to protect files from malicious modification, but there are serious problems with this feature."

If your backups are local or to remote hardware you *fully* control, then it's probably sufficient.

Thanks for the share - always good to know of alternatives!

Kindest Regards,
--Tim

---

Timothy M. Lyons, CISSP

lyons at geekcq.com

+1-978-309-9595

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) named. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.