[Discuss] full disk backups

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Wed Aug 21 18:17:52 EDT 2019

On 8/21/19 4:57 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> Another thought is that it might still be actively trying to remap bad
> blocks. That could take a while (multiple seconds?),

Minutes. Like 10 or 15, I forget.

> if it is having to retry.

It didn't feel like that. It had the random-access quality of real work.
But it is umounted, so I don't think the OS was directing it.

Maybe doing some checksum verifications?

These drives are doing some crazy impressive densities these days. I
don't know what preventative maintenance they might come up with.

> If you aren't already monitoring the drive
> for bad blocks (smartctl), you probably should.

I think I carefully felt for the same activity on a completely different
4TB WD drive and noticed the same thing, but only three or four minutes
worth.

I ping-pong between several drives in different locations, doing
backups, so if one died no big deal.

I am going to let them quiet down in the future before unplugging, however.

Thanks,

-kb