[Discuss] full disk backups

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Sun Aug 25 18:30:14 EDT 2019

Ian Kelling wrote:

> Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> writes:
>

> > 4. use ZFS
> >     pro: lightweight snapshots, zfssend/zfsrecv
> >     con: not simple to set up
>
> 4.5 use btrfs. I use btrbk for snapshots and send. I've been using it
> for over 4 years now, recovered from several failed disks with raid 1,
> works great for me.
>
> I don't know why people like zfs so much when it has a license
> compatiblity problem so its not supported or reviewed by upstream linux,
> and isn't used or supported by most major gnu/linux companies. Also
> btrfs is simpler and more flexible from what I've read.

I used btrfs for two years and lost data twice... both times
while doing a scrub operation on a RAID-1 mirror.

ZFS works.

The ZFS on Linux project is now the official root of all the
open ZFS versions, including those for FreeBSD and OpenSolaris's
derivatives. Ubuntu ships it fully incorporated; their lawyers think
this is acceptable. Debian ships it with the proviso that you have to
run the compilation step (via DKMS) on your machine, which satisfies
their interpretation of the license.

I can't recommend btrfs to anyone in its current state, and I would
recommend ZFS to people who are willing to read the fine documentation
before poking at it.

-dsr-