[Discuss] Fedora 28 Doesn't See External DVD Drive on USB Port

Nancy Allison nancythewriter7 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 21:16:18 EST 2019

Hi, David.

Thank you very much for this information. Sorry it has taken me this long
to respond to it!

I ran the cat command and for once something I did in the Terminal window
worked immediately. Here is what it gave me:

#
# /etc/fstab
# Created by anaconda on Thu Jul 19 00:01:06 2018
#
# Accessible filesystems, by reference, are maintained under '/dev/disk'
# See man pages fstab(5), findfs(8), mount(8) and/or blkid(8) for more info
#
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-root /                       ext4
defaults        1 1
UUID=84fb2b0b-8657-4e21-ba3a-35a140c62cb1 /boot                   ext4
defaults        1 2
UUID=BC87-05C2          /boot/efi               vfat
umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-home /home                   ext4
defaults        1 2
/dev/mapper/fedora_localhost--live-swap swap                    swap
defaults        0 0

Since I last wrote anything, I've successfully plugged in an ancient HP
Personal Media Drive, which showed up immediately. (Now if I could just
find a way to read the qic files on it ...) So Nautilus successfully
idenfied a new device (which the fstab file should show, right?)

Maybe the DVD drive is just a bum drive. It shows up in Windows, though ...

Thanks for the information you provided.

--Nancy