[Discuss] Application config files

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jul 13 20:14:37 EDT 2019

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 16:16:15 -0500
Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 02:07:20PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:40:01 -0400
> > Dan Ritter <dsr at randomstring.org> wrote:

> > JSON is out from the get-go: It's not meant to be read and written
> > by humans.
>
> I largely disagree.  If it's currently in INI format the equivalent
> JSON should generally be perfectly human-readable, e.g.:

{"thingy": {"name":  "foo","ip": "10.1.2.3", "value": 1,
"live":  true, "notes": null}}

Your assertions (not copied here) about Python writing beautful
json is true, but humans, not so much. One could easily write a Python
json beautifier to help, but I still think complex json is hard for a
human to edit.

I think about 20 lines of Python could turn an .ini file into a list of
dicts.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist