[Discuss] Application config files

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Tue Jul 23 14:32:49 EDT 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 02:07:24PM -0400, Rich Pieri wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 12:51:11 -0500
> Derek Martin <invalid at pizzashack.org> wrote:
>
> > Effectively, printing = storing.
>
> If this were true then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But it IS true.  The same python to generate the printed list may be
used to write it out to disk, by redirecting stdio, either in your
shell or in the program itself.  This of course is up to the
programmer and/or the user.  Alternatively, you could call dump()
instead of dumps(), which...  guess what it does?  Writes out the
formatted string to a specified file object, but otherwise works
identically.  Alternatively, you could save the formatted string in a
variable, and write it out to a specified file object (which may or
may not be stdout or a disk file)... etc.  There is no practical
difference to any of these options.

But you knew all of that.  So... why *are* we having this discussion?

-=-=-=-=-