[Discuss] cron notifications to GUI front end

Rich Pieri richard.pieri at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 11:41:09 EDT 2019

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 11:23:26 -0400
Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> One idea I had was to write a small GUI that would cancel any
> currently scheduled shutdown and reschedule and notify the user when
> the shutdown is imminent. If the user logs off, the shutdown would
> still be in effect.

I don't think that's going to work the way you expect. One big problem
is that a process running from cron can't directly access your X server
so it can't send GUI notices.

I think you're going to need to create some kind of server (running in
your X sessions when you start them) and client (running from cron)
which tries to notify the server and handles the shutdown process.

--
Rich Pieri