[Discuss] cron notifications to GUI front end

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 14:39:08 EDT 2019

Thanks guys. I think Richard's approach is probably the most workable. The
main thing is I don't want the system to shutdown while I am working. I'll
also try Dan's approach.

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 2:30 PM Gregory Galperin <grg at csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 10:28:02AM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > I have a crontab task to shutdown my system at a specific time each
> > evening. Shutdown notifications come to terminal windows that are open.
> > However, When I am logged in and using Atom and Glade to work with some
> > code, I miss the notification and the system shuts down. What I would
> like
> > to do is to write a small GUI GTK3 task pop up in my face so I can stop
> the
> > shutdown. One possibility is to write a startup task when I log in. So, I
> > am looking at ideas.
>
> I have something sorta related, a killer cron job - my way of taming it is
> to have it check for processes owned by me (excluding known background
> processes) and if it finds any try again in a couple hours.  so it's fully
> automated, no ui, no interaction with me at all.  don't know if a similar
> approach would work for you?
> --grg

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6B B6E7