[Discuss] Linux backups in 2019

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Sat Nov 9 11:47:36 EST 2019

A couple of months ago my desktop root got trashed (my fault while
preparing for installfest). In the past I used rsnapshot and Back In Time.
Both create snapshots using rsync with the link-dest option such that
existing files are hard linked. I run these as root since I backup parts of
things like /etc /usr/local /home (with multiple users). I would like to
know what others might be using and what they think of it. I do want to
keep the snapshot format where duplicate files are hard linked. Note that
my destination is a mounted removable hard drive.

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6B B6E7