[Discuss] Linux backups in 2019

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Sat Nov 9 20:37:05 EST 2019

I decided to move away from differential backups, because my focus is
always on ease of recovery, and if I find a problem that happened in the
past, I would rather have one thing to restore.

I'm moving away from external hard drives for backups too. Either you
leave them hooked up so backups happen automatically, but the drives are
constantly spinning, or you leave them disconnected so they last longer
but backups have to be manual.  I found that Google Cloud works out
insanely cheap (like 20-ish cents a month) for files you're going to
upload any maybe never retrieve.  I encrypt the tarred backups with
openssl before sending them.

I'll also mention that on my Linode server (not my desktop) I have
separate backup scripts for DB, mail, and system files, because I backup
and retain them at different rates.  In doing all of this, I created a
backuplib.sh with functions that can be used by the other scripts to
reduce duplication of work.