[Discuss] excessive memory usage in Ubuntu

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Mon Sep 9 18:21:20 EDT 2019

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 16:04:55 -0400
Tom Luo <mariolzx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> I am running a Ubuntu 16.04 server (2GB memory and 2GB swap
> partition). At the beginning, the memory usage is fine (less than
> 20%). However, after I install some packages:
>
> apt-get install gnome-panel gnome-settings-daemon metacity nautilus
> gnome-terminal
>
> the memory usage increases a lot, to 99%. The swap partition is also
> almost full.
>
> I used the "top" command to see which program is using a lot of
> memory. However, this is not a single significant program. Every
> program uses less than 5% memory. The problem is very strange and I
> don't know how to solve this problem because reinstall the system.
>
> Any suggestions?

2GB RAM was about on par for computers back in 2006. It's woefully
inadequate for modern software unless you're using limited software
(text-only server, for instance).

Ubuntu specializes in being easy for total newbies,  at the expense of
heavy resource usage. Gnome uses memory and CPU at prodigious rates.

There are lots of lightweight Linuxes you could use, but most package
only the most common software. I'd suggest you use Void Linux, which
allows and in fact encourages you to install only what you need. If you
absolutely need a GUI, you can install extreme lightweights like icewm,
Windowmaker, jwm, awesome, or my favorite, Openbox. I have some 2006
computers running quite well, with 2GB RAM, using Void and Openbox. Of
course, you can't run 20 big programs at a time, nor can you use
Firefox to open 10 javascript laden sites, but you can still do your
job.

Installing Void on a x86 or ia64 is pretty easy: Run a text program
called void-installer from a booted CD or thumb. Just answer the
questions, and boom: You have a working computer.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key