[Discuss] RMS in the news

Brendan Kidwell brendan at glump.net
Wed Sep 18 10:29:20 EDT 2019

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019, at 06:40, Jack Bennett wrote:
> Later on, one professor in the department, a member of my dissertation
> committee, was quietly leaving the talk a little bit early. rms noticed and
> called her out directly for leaving early so she retorted, "well, you know,
> I gotta pick up the KIDS".

It's funny to hear a story of that kind of disrespect now.

Just last week before the current drama erupted, I was talking to a friend who is a radio host in New York City. My friend said that he'd invited RMS to give a keynote at some event, and RMS not only ignore the parameters of the time slot -- he COVERED the clock.

So, apparently RMS's talk is the most important thing in the world. He'll end when he feels like it, and you may not leave when you're satisfied.

I've given talks, myself, where I end with 80% of the audience I started with and I literally didn't notice anyone left.