[Discuss] Favorite Editor [was..]

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 13:35:12 EDT 2019

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 10:09 AM Greg Rundlett (freephile) <
greg at freephile.com> wrote:

> I use vim, but have never really become accustomed to advanced usage (even
> multiple buffers is awkward). ...

> On 9/19/19 4:54 PM, John Abreau wrote:
> > > I absolutely*hate*  vim.
> > Hear hear!
> > I'm an old VI fan, like others have mentioned, because of the finger
> > memory.

I used to be that rare bird, a dual vi/emacs user -- because new OS
installs one needs to use VI to install Emacs, it's good to know either ED
or EX/VI.
Back in the day, i had an older HP terminal that had a even longer termcap
entry than a VT100.  VI could use that to reverse scroll, or scroll a
sub-range of rows (leaving status rows alone) so despite having a 4800bps
network connect box, i could edit faster with that than with VI or Emacs on
a VT101 with 9600bps network connect card inboard. (Unix PWB, BSD3, BSD 4)

When my wrists got problematic (better now), I dropped Emacs and switched
to VIM and GEDIT because CTRL-META-COKEBOTTLE was too much stretch ouch
ouch.

Mostly still using VI finger memory. I haven't learned all the really
advanced features of VIM, though perhaps I should. (For most purposes,
switching between several VIMs with TERM, SCREEN, or ^Z %2 works well
enough and is same skillz as switching non-VIM things so reusable
knowledge!)

One thing that makes VIM more usable:
I've added an alias to launch a GVIM outside the terminal window.
GVIM works with the Desktop COPY/PASTE buffer like a normal editor,
separately from its own cut/copy/yank buffer.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux