[Discuss] RMS

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Mon Sep 23 15:24:33 EDT 2019

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 02:46:55PM -0400, Seth Gordon wrote:
> If I say that “I think person X committed crime Y”, without further
> elaboration, and crime Y is punishable by law by up to ten years in prison,
> my statement is not equivalent to “I think that person X deserves to go to
> prison for ten years”.

I'm well aware of and support the reasons for having consent laws.
None of this has anything to do with rms's point.

Most people will never hear the details--they will only hear "sexual
assault."  Minsky won't have the benefit of the details, he'll only
ever have the label.  Now and forever.  In the eyes of some, he will
be branded a monster.  Permanently.  If you can't see that, can't see
the harm in that, to him, his family, and his associates, certainly
nothing I can say will convince you...

-=-=-=-=-