[Discuss] Chrome and Flash

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Mon Sep 23 15:45:37 EDT 2019

Bill Horne wrote:
> On 9/21/2019 10:05 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> > And, I know that Flash's EOL is the end of next year, and good riddance.
>

> I've never understood what Flash does or is supposed to do: what is it for?

It's a language plus IDE plus runtime environment that offers easy
interactive programs. There was a runtime player available for
most browsers.

People used to write games and video players in it.

Problems: closed source, no open protocols, not particularly
good at adapting to different screen sizes and shapes.  And
the security story was non-existent.

It's been effectively replaced by JavaScript, which doesn't have
any of those problems, but is less user-friendly.

-dsr-