[Discuss] RMS

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Sep 26 14:21:40 EDT 2019

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 05:12:52 -0700
"Jim Gasek" <jim at gasek.net> wrote:

> Remember that the "METOO" movement is a religious movement, it is not
> based on facts, logic, or evidence.

Oh, bullshit. Women get raped all the time, and that's a fact.

> It's core doctrine is "Always believe (as fact) the accusations.".
> The accusations are not up for debate, and analysis.

If the pendulum has swung a little too far toward believing the woman,
that's regrettable, but completely understandable given that until very
recently, men and boys simply said "it was consensual", and that was
their magic get-out-of-jail-free card. Womens' and girls' own families
wouldn't believe them. I saw that first hand.

Then there's the matter of the boss's offers the woman can't refuse.
"Put out if you want a good annual review." Happens all the time.
Happened to my girlfriend in 1985: When she wouldn't put out for the
boss, he wrote her up for *everything* and made her work life a living
hell.

Yeah, this METOO stuff is just sooo unfair to us men. We have to keep
our hands off women who aren't our girlfriends. We can't lear or howl
or whistle or give obviously lewd compliments. No more elbow-tittie
or ass-grab. What a terrible imposition on us!

From what I've read about RMS' situation, I don't think his defense of
Minsky was problematic, and it's a shame that particular instance has
cost him so dearly. But please don't use it to advance your obviously
preexisting dislike of the METOO movement. I have a wife and two
daughters and I don't want some slob rubbing up against one of them in
an elevator and then saying "she was asking for it", and everyone
believes the slob.

> (That's "Man-splaining")

Get over it.

SteveT