[Discuss] suggestions for low latency Internet audio conferencing software suitable for performing music?

Shirley Márquez Dúlcey mark at buttery.org
Wed Apr 1 21:38:12 EDT 2020

The first requirement for such a system is a low latency codec that is
designed for music. Most commercial teleconferencing systems fail the
second criterion; music sounds terrible through them. One possibility is to
use uncompressed PCM, which is quick to encode and decode but uses a lot of
bandwidth. If we need to keep bandwidth down, Opus is the best open source
candidate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_%28audio_format%29

Teleconferencing also requires a low latency video codec. I don't know of
any good open source codecs for that. The ones that are used for streaming
and for storing movies all have very long encoding delays, in the hundreds
of milliseconds or more.

Internet latency is also an issue. Some ISPs are much better than others,
and there is also the issue that peering between different ISPs sometimes
happens at a distant point. Users will want to use wired connections
because WiFi adds a significant amount of latency.