[Discuss] OT - Memory Upgrade

epp at mcom.com epp at mcom.com
Sun Aug 23 13:43:39 EDT 2020

Been looking into upgrading the memory in one of my Linux desktops and
after looking at the specs, it seems like two different types of memory
sticks need to be installed (?). The system currently has 4Gb in it and
would like to expand this to 8Gb.

What is installed right now is a 4Gb DIMM (manufacturer shows Micron,
speed 1333 MT/s, (from running 'dmidecode')). I'm assuming this DIMM is
in the slot referenced as 'DDR3-1333' below. Would I then need one 4Gb
1066 MT/s DIMM for the other slot, or could two 1333's be used?

Thanks in advance.

      4 GB

  *
    Amount: 4 GB
  *
    Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec (message as PC3-8500)
  *
    Type: DDR3-1333

      Memory upgrade information

  *
    Dual channel memory architecture
  *
    *Two DDR3 DIMMs (240-pin) sockets*
        *PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)*
        *PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)*

  *
    Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
  *
    Supports 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB DDR3 DIMMs
  *
    *Supports up to 8 GB on 64-bit systems (DIMMs run at DDR3-1066)*
  *
    Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit PCs