[Discuss] btrfs on fedora

Matthew Gillen me at mattgillen.net
Tue Dec 1 01:23:04 EST 2020

I got a little ahead of the curve and used btrfs for one of my fedora 31
installs (which had upgraded to 32 at some point), with separate
subvolumes for / and /home.

Fedora 33 came along and there was enough cruft built up on it (not to
mention a horrible kmod-nvidia mess that I ran out of patience with)
that I decided to do a fresh Fedora 33 install.  Nice thing is that
btrfs is the default now.

But when I went to manually partition things out (to make sure my /home
was saved), it wouldn't let me set my root subvolume to the '/'
mountpoint because "it requires the root filesystem to be newly
formatted".   I panicked for a minute thinking about that literally
(i.e. thinking I would need to actually reformat my btrfs device).

Thankfully, I realized that if I just told it to delete the root
subvolume and re-create it, everyone is happy: the install is getting a
clean filesystem for /, and I keep my /home subvolume.

Phew.

Just wanted to share in case anyone had apprehension about btrfs. It
worked out really well.

Matt