[Discuss] Fail2Ban needs some help?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed Dec 23 17:45:43 EST 2020

On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Greg Rundlett (freephile)
<greg at freephile.com> wrote:

> I recently noticed that the Fail2Ban project is almost dead. The
> homepage hasn't been updated since 2016 [1] .....
>  Does anyone know of an alternative to
> fail2ban. Or for that matter, consider this a PSA that the project
> could use some help.

I actually moved one system to using fail2ban recently where it had
been using denyhosts which seems to be an even deader project.
As for other options, I saw something recently about a project which
was using distributed denial lists, much like was/is? done
for SPAM email blocking.   Unfortunately, I don't recall the name.
At the time, I just wanted the quickest replacement for denyhosts
rather than something more complicated.   Still, there is other stuff
out there with interesting features in active development.

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad