[Discuss] help

Jerry Feldman gaf at gapps.blu.org
Thu Feb 6 19:33:51 EST 2020

Hi Dan,
1. When you turn it on are you saying it does not post (the post screen is
usually the Lenovo logo).
2. Does the computer show the list of Fedora kernels. Should be 4 +
recovery.
3. When you boot live CD memory stick, does it boot.

>From the start I would think that there is something wrong with your boot
block or that GRUB is corrupted. Suggestion, on your other computer
download the GParted LiveCD (https://gparted.org/livecd.php) and burn a USB
stick. Then run GParted to see if you can see your data. Also, GParted is
included on the Ubuntu LiveCD.

I had a similar thing happen on my laptop. Take a look at some of the grub
rescue videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJTGpvZO8Oc

Our next installfest is on Saturday March 14th.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 7:08 PM dan moylan <jdm at moylan.us> wrote:

> my main computer has gone bonkers.
>
>   - lenevo t430 thinkpad running fc31
>
> when i power up it sits forever not showing the usual,
> but when i hit escape it says it's in emergency mode
> and to enter the root password, which i do.  everything
> seems to be there as expected except:
>
>   - i can't establish connection even wired with ifconfig
>   - i plug in a good memory stick, and it never shows
>       mounted using df
>
> any thoughts on recovery?
>
> tia,
> ole dan