[Discuss] OT - Increased WiFi Speeds After DNS Change

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed Jul 22 13:30:19 EDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 11:39 AM Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> Even fast.com isn't reliable; ISPs recognize those types of tests and
> can "optimize" for them.

Given the traffic shaping technologies that are apparently available
to ISPs at this
point, there probably isn't any test that can guarantee to mirror your
use cases with
certainty.  Some of the apps/channels on my roku have the ability to
do their own tests
which might match the performance I would get while streaming video from them.

Also, I keep a collection of local Linux ISOs, which I occasionally
update using bittorrent.
I like to think that the total throughput I see on those downloads is
a reasonable real
world estimate of the maximum I should expect from other activities.
Of course, some
ISPs limit bittorrent; but on my Comcast connection I regularly see
speeds that are
consistent with the speed tier to which I am subscribed.

Bill Bogstad