[Discuss] email server in Linux

Dan Ritter dsr at randomstring.org
Fri Jun 12 22:35:26 EDT 2020

Tom Luo wrote:
> Does anyone have experience setting a private email server in Ubuntu?
> It seems Ubuntu has an email server itself. Is it good to use the email
> server offered by Ubuntu? Or, do you have any suggestion for another open
> source solution?

If you're running an email server, you shouldn't settle for
defaults. You should read up on the options and have an opinion.

I like postfix. I used to run qmail. I have run sendmail and
exim and parts of courier and cyrus. These days, for general
mail use, I would recommend postfix, and secondarily exim if
there were a strong reason for it.

You're going to want a domain name. Then you might want a static
IP, perhaps via a VPS company. This rabbit hole goes deep.

-dsr-