[Discuss] email server in Linux

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Sat Jun 13 14:39:10 EDT 2020

On 6/13/20 2:07 PM, Matthew Gillen wrote:

> Amen.  The other fun thing you can do is create unique email addresses
> for every website that wants you to make a login.  I just add a new line
> to /etc/aliases, run 'newaliases' (I do sendmail), and then I've got a
> site-specific email address that will go to my normal inbox.  When that
> site gets hacked and I start getting spam to that address, I not only
> know who leaked, but can decide if I want to keep that address anymore
> without impacting anything else.

I used to have a (Rust!) program running on my e-mail server that
allowed me to send a special e-mail to a special address and it would
create a new alias for me, and send a confirming e-mail back to me. Easy
enough to do while waiting in line for a rental car, or the like.

Alas, I don't have it running at the moment because I have a hacky dual
server system running (did I say my DSL has gotten unreliable?) and I
need to update it to work across two servers, keeping the alias files in
sync. I have it mostly figured out (crafting for idempotence makes such
things easier), but I haven't programmed it yet.

All possible because I run my own e-mail server.

-kb

P.S. I have an alias I used to order some spare parts from Sony...and
then they leaked it and now it is all spam.