[Discuss] Password managers

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue May 5 18:54:33 EDT 2020

On 5/5/20 5:47 PM, Jerry Natowitz wrote:
> I've decided it is time to start using strong unique passwords on all
> sites.

Smart.

> What products will work on Linux/gnu, Linux/Android, and Windows 10?
> Is the integration to the O/S, the window manager, or the web
> browser?  Looking for something that will work transparently across
> all the mentioned platforms, and possibly also Mac/iPhone.

I get very nervous about a password manager that aims to transparently
let me in everywhere it can. Seems a very hard thing to get right. Bugs
lurk in hard code. And bugs in a password manager are potentially
catastrophic. I prefer being a manual middleman for every password
entry; I prefer a very-offline password manager.

The result is the passwords I use most frequently I remember, so I just
type them. The ones I use infrequently are infrequent, so I don't mind
looking them up.

Remember: All software has bugs, password managers are not somehow immune.

-kb, the Kent who also expires his sudo password immediately, to make
quietly tailgating in behind his use of sudo a lot harder...so he's like
that.